Homemade Hazelnut-Chocolate (Family Circle) Recipe
Found in Family Circle magazine in 1996
The original attribution for this recipe is lost. I apologize.
Makes about 3 cups at $1.34 per cup.
Prep: 30 minutes.
Bake: at 375 for 12 minutes.
Cool: 10 minutes.
Rest: 2 months.
- 1/2 pound hazelnuts (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 3 cups vodka
- 1 vanilla bean, spli lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons _un_sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (vegetable) glycerine*
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Heat oven to 375. Spread hazelnuts on large baking sheet.
- Roast in 375 oven for 12 minutes or until skins split open and nuts are
golden. Rub nuts in clean kitchen towel to loosen skins (some skin may
remain). Cool nuts; coarsely chop.
- Combine nuts, vodka and vanilla bean in quart jar with tight-fitting
lid. Seal; let rest in cool place for at least 1 week or up to 1 month,
- Strain vodka, pressing nuts to extract liquid (about 2 1/2 cups).
Discard nuts. Return liquid to jar.
- Stir cocoa powder into vodka, seal jar and shake well to combine. Let
rest, undisturbed, in cool place for at least 1 week, or up to 2 weeks.
- Carefully ladle out translucent liquid from jar, leaving behind thick
sludge. Strain translucent fluid through paper coffee filter (you should
have 2 to 2 1/4 cups).
- Combine sugar and water in small saucepan. Bring to boiling over high
heat, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool to room
temperature. Stir into vodka. Stir in glycerine and almond extract.
Pour into clean, decorative bottle and set aside for at least 1 month.
Nutrient value per 1/4 cup:
Exchanges: 1 2/5 fruit, 2 2/3 fat.
*Note: Glycerine is available in stores selling wine-making equipment.
measurement (unless stated otherwise)
|1 cup = 8 ounces =
|1 quart = 32 ounces =
|1 tbsp (tablespoon) =
1/2 ounce = 15ml
|1 fifth = 25.6 ounces
|1 tsp (teaspoon) =
1/6 ounce = 5ml
|1 pint = 16 ounces =
Return to liqueurs page
Go back to my main page
Send me mail.