Homemade Horseradish Vodka Recipe
From correspondent Jon Brzyski
- 1 liter vodka
- 1 C. Fresh horseradish root
- 1 Tbls. Whole black peppercorns
- 1 or 2 Whole dried chilies (the small red variety)
- To a liter of neutral spirit add a cup of peeled fresh horseradish root, grated on the large holes of a box grater.
Beware that the fumes produced by grating horseradish are exponentially stronger than any onion you've ever sliced.
- Add the peppercorns and peppers, if you like some heat
- Overnight steeping is all that's necessary with such strong flavors- I've even made a batch of this a few hours before a party as a hostess gift.
I'd steep for a few days or more if not grating the horseradish.
- Strain and store.
I use this recipe exclusively for the best Bloody Marys ever, but I've given a batch to a friend who is so keen on the flavor of horseradish that he sipped it straight (!)
measurement (unless stated otherwise)
|1 cup = 8 ounces =
|1 quart = 32 ounces =
|1 tbsp (tablespoon) =
1/2 ounce = 15ml
|1 fifth = 25.6 ounces
|1 tsp (teaspoon) =
1/6 ounce = 5ml
|1 pint = 16 ounces =
Return to liqueurs page
Go back to my main page
Send me mail.